You may have holiday memories of emptying stockings full of sugary candy on Christmas Eve or morning, and you likely passed on that tradition to your family. While indulging in tasty goodies is a big part of the holidays, your family dentist in Indianapolis suggests adding a couple of tooth-friendly treats to the mix this year. Keep reading to learn what stocking stuffers they recommend to promote oral health this season.
Smile-Friendly Stocking Stuffers
They wouldn’t be proper holiday stockings if they weren’t stuffed with some of your family’s favorite sweet treats. This year, in addition to stuffing your loved one’s stockings with sugary goodies, consider adding one or more of the below to give them the lasting gift of a healthy smile:
- A Toothbrush: This sounds like a major “buzz-kill”, but with all of the fun character or themed designs out there now, you’re sure to be able to please your child with a toothbrush they can get excited about. For adults, a high-quality electric toothbrush is always appreciated.
- Floss Sticks: These are great gifts for adults and children alike because they make the process of flossing much easier, and people are more likely to floss if it takes less time. There are also plenty of fun and colorful floss-stick options for children that encourage use.
- Yummy Dental Treats: One reason why many children don’t like brushing their teeth is because of the flavor of traditional mint toothpaste. Throw in a fruity or bubblegum flavored option with fluoride into their stocking this year. Other family members might enjoy a pack or two of flavored sugar-free gum or mints.
- Healthy Snacks: Regardless of age, everyone loves snacks! Aside from candy there are plenty of healthier options to stuff in your stockings this season:
- Assorted nuts
- Sugar-free candy
- Dried fruits with no added sugar
- Granola or protein bars
This holiday season, as you set out to stuff your family’s stockings, make sure to grab one or more of these smile-friendly options to add in!
About the Author
Dr. Mark M. Farthing and Dr. Armin M. Tepner lead the team of dental experts at Indianapolis Family Dental. They make it a priority to ensure that each family they care for is provided with every tool they need to maintain good oral health. In addition to completing multiple hours of continuing education, they have built their practice on trust and the promise to provide the highest quality of treatment. Are your loved one’s smiles ready for the holidays? Book an appointment online or call(317) 898-3384.