Keeping up with your personal hygiene should always be a priority. During the COVID-19 pandemic, it is even more critical. You may be finding yourself getting out of the house a little bit more as businesses are reopening and people are getting back to work. Because of this, you need to be extra careful to make sure you are cleaning and disinfecting your hands correctly. Your dentist can tell you the best way to keep your hands clean with either soap or hand sanitizer.
Washing Your Hands During The COVID-19 Pandemic
Handwashing is one of the best ways to stay healthy, especially when something infectious is going around. Here are the essential steps to getting the most out of your handwashing:
How to Wash Your Hands Effectively
- Put your hands under clean, running water.
- Apply a generous amount of soap to your hands and lather. Don’t forget to get the inside, back, and fingertips. Continue for at least 20 seconds.
- Rub hands together and move your fingertips around to scrub.
- To rinse, place both hands back under the running water and wash away all of the soap.
- Use a disposable paper towel or an air dryer to dry your hands.
When to Wash Your Hands
You should wash your hands throughout the entire day to prevent getting sick. Here are some situations where washing your hands is essential:
- After returning from a public outing
- Before preparing food
- After using the restroom
- After caring for someone who is sick
- After sneezing, coughing, or blowing your nose
- Before eating
- After shaking hands
Using Hand Sanitizer During The COVID-19 Pandemic
Even though washing your hands with soap and water is the best way to keep them clean, hand sanitizer is the next best thing. If you don’t have access to soap and clean water, sanitizer should be used.
How to Use Sanitizer Correctly
- Check the label of the hand sanitizer to determine how much to use. Apply the correct amount to the palm of your hand.
- Rub the sanitizer all over both hands.
- Continue this for about 20 seconds or until it dries.
Things to Know About Hand Sanitizer
When using hand sanitizer, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Sanitizer is not as effective as handwashing. It should only be used when you are unable to use soap and clean water.
- Be sure to choose a hand sanitizer that consists of 60-95% alcohol.
- You shouldn’t use sanitizer if your hands are greasy or dirty.
- Your hands may become dry. If this is the case, use a moisturizer.
There are probably many steps you are already taking to protect your health during the pandemic. Handwashing is among the most important. Make sure you are washing your hands and using hand sanitizer correctly so you can enjoy peace of mind!
About the Practice
At Indianapolis Family Dentistry, Dr. Mark M. Farthing and Dr. Armin M. Tepner prioritize giving patients a gentle and personalized dental experience. They each have been practicing dentistry for over 35 years. During the COVID-19 pandemic, they know that proper personal hygiene is important to keeping their patients healthy. They have been taking heightened hygiene measures, including washing their hands more frequently than before. For more information or to schedule an appointment, visit their website or call (317) 878-3384.